Saturday, November 16, 2013

Cafe Vita and Mom


  I picked up my mom at Kline Galland nursing home lending library and whisked her off to Cafe Vita to have coffee with me this morning.  Despite her dementia and physical slowing down, she walked all the way to the car in the far end of the parking lot enjoying the crisp cold morning air.  A welcome change from the uni-temperature of the nursing home.  I packed her into the car and buckled her in. "Click" she announced with a grin when the seatbelt was locked into place. 
  It took a while to get our coffee due to the long line at Cafe Vita in Seward Park but mom hung tightly to my arm and was busy watching all the young people buzzing around.  While they were getting our coffee order ready I took mom to a table. I nice woman who had been in line ahead of us, brought our coffee to the table! Sweet. Mom appeared a bit spaced out and waiting for something.  I reached into my coat pocket and pulled out my clown nose and popped it onto my nose!  She burst out laughing that wonderful spontaneous childlike laughter.  Too Fun!  When she stopped laughing, she said, "Andrew you are a rascal."  I replied, "I learned it all from you mom."  Then we had another good laugh.
  I love you mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment